Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Science (FPIK) stand begins with the establishment of the Faculty of Animal Husbandry Department of Fisheries through Decree No. rector of Diponegoro University 44/1968 dated October 8, 1968. On August 17, 1978, the name of the Faculty was transformed into the Faculty of Animal Husbandry and Fisheries, according to Decree No. rector of Diponegoro University 76 / SK / UD / VI / 1978. But in 1982 the name was changed back to the Faculty of Animal Husbandry with the release of Presidential Decree No. 51/1982. In 1985, based on Circular Directorate General of Higher Education Ministry of Education and Culture No. 1023 / D / Q / 1985 dated June 6, 1985, pioneered the development of Marine Science Program at the University of Diponegoro along with five other Indonesian universities (Bogor Institute of Agriculture, University of Pattimura, Sam Ratulangi University, Hasanuddin University and Riau University). Subsequent developments, Diponegoro University then get Dikti Decree No. 54 / Dikti / Kep / 1987, which was revised in 1988 by the Director General of Higher Education Decree No. 24 / Dikti / Kep / 1988 on the establishment of Marine Science Program Diponegoro University, where the administrative management of teaching staff are in the Faculty of Animal Husbandry, while the academic aspect is coordinated by the Rector with the implementing Agency for Marine Science Study program management. In 1994, it established the Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Science (FPIK), following the Decree of the Minister of Education and Culture No.0181 / 0/1994, dated July 25, 1994, consisting of two departments namely the Department of Fisheries and Marine Science.
Since 1995, the Department of Fisheries to develop three (3) courses namely:
- Aquaculture Program (BDP), based SK. Director General of Higher Education No. 473 / Dikti / Kep / 1995.
- Water Resource Management Program (MSP), based on the Decree. Director General of Higher Education No. 474 / Dikti / Kep / 1995.
- Fisheries Resource Utilization Study Program (PSP), according to Director General of Higher Education Decree No. 475 / Dikti / Kep / 1995.
While the Fishery Product Technology Studies Program (THP), established in 2002 by decree of the Director General of Higher Education No. 620 / D / T / 2002. The Department of Marine Science has developed two (2) courses, namely:
- Marine Science Program based on SK General of Higher Education 54 / Dikti / Kep / 1987, which was revised by the Director General of Higher Education Decree No. 24 / Dikti / Kep / 1998 and strengthened by the Director General of Higher SK 195 / Dikti / Kep / 1995.
- Oceanography Program based license Dikti No. 2282 / D / T / 2001.
Besides, Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Science, Diponegoro University conducts educational programs strata 2 (master) is PS. Coastal Resource Management Master (MSDP) based on the Higher Education Decree 231 / Dikti / Kep. / 1999, the Master of Marine Science (MIK) based on SK Director General of Higher Education No. 185 / E / O / 2011, the doctoral program (S-3) Coastal Resource Management (DMSDP) by the Director General of Higher Education Decree No.3024 / D / T / 2004 and S-3 Doctoral Program of Marine Sciences (Dikl) based on the Rector Decree No. 1126 /UN7.P/HK/2016.
Based rector of Diponegoro University Decision No. 1122 / UN7.P / HK / 2016 dated September 20, 2016 regarding the Stipulation of Department at the Faculty of Diponegoro University, specifying the name of the Department in the Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Science into six (6) of the Department, namely:
- Department of Aquatic Resources.
- Department of Aquaculture.
- Department of Capture Fisheries Department.
- Department of Fishery Products Technology.
- Department of Marine Science.
- Department of Oceanographic.